Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 94 - April 11th - Evergreen Acres RV Park - Belleville, KS

Again, another slightly less than 300 miles up the road. Now, for some of you folks, I know that 300 miles is just "Getting Started", but you know what, we're retired and we only travel short days. For about 40 miles prior to Wichita. KS we were on a Toll Road Turnpike. A beautiful concrete highway with very few exits or accesses. It ended at Wichita, and then through Wichita on I-135. Appeared to be a nice city, no too big, but much of the I-135 freeway is elevated about 30 feet with bridges crossing below on ever street, with a creek between the north and south lanes. Once past there, the highway was divided 4 lane all the way to where we turned into the "Evergreen Acres RV Park" just 7 miles from the Nebraska border. The Woodalls's RV Guide indicated this park was to have 15 Full Hookups, 5 15 Pull Thrus, 25 Total Sites. Well when we got there we found this was like a farmers back yard. There was only 4 sites that I could find. Nobody was home so I wandered around the complete yard, and I couldn't find any other indication of more sites. Now I supposed there maybe had been more, but it was obvious that I Tornado had gone through the shelterbelt of trees and the yard some time before. I would guess within the last year or two.
This is what happens to a nice farm yard shelterbelt, when a tornado goes through!! I would have liked to talk to the owner to get more details, but the evidence is clearly there, as to the ferocity of the event. Notice the remains of a corrigated Metal Grain bin that are scattered everywhere through the debris.

However, what we found was OK, as only one other site was occupied with a 5th wheel, again with nobody home. So we just set up and enjoyed the afternoon. Nobody showed up in the evening or the next morning so we just left our name and address, and $20 in an envelope and motored on.

No comments:

Post a Comment