Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Vacationing at Destin, FL

Dec 19- Someone must have heard me since we woke up this morning to Sun. Still a little cool at about 50 degrees, but should warm up as the day progresses. Went down to Miss Lucilles and did the internet thing, then drove on down highway 30A to the junction with 98, a distance of about 20 miles. Lots of neat shops and expensive ocean cottages along this route.
Turned back at highway 98 and on way home stopped at a 1960's route 66 type diner made from about 6 airstream trailer units. Pretty neat!! Bought some great Bar-B-Qued Brisket for lunch.

Then came home Late in the day we walked the 1 mile to the beach to see if we could take some sunset pictures. Didn't seem that promising so Denice caught a ride home with the Ranger Shuttle, but I elected to stay, and did take some not bad pictures, but then had to do the 1 mile walk home again.


One Day I'll figure out how to do a slide show

Should do that every day a couple of times and maybe lose some of this spare tire that I pack!
Dec 20 - In morning went to Destin to Panera Bread, a soup and sandwich place in a huge Outlet Mall that caters to Internet users with a WIFI hookup.
Only issue was that it was 11:30AM, and from 11:00AM til 1:30PM they only allow 30 minutes on the internet Denice typed quite a long email, but Murphy's law, couldn't send it as she had been cut off, and so lost it. Not a big deal for a fast typist, but for us that "hunt and peck" the impact is significant. From there I wanted to go to a "Campers World" that I had seen while we were on the road down. I couldn't quite remember where it was so we just drove, and drove, and drove. After 40 miles, gave up and returned home without any success. The next day once I was able to get on the internet, found that when we turned back were probably only a couple of miles from or goal. Oh Well!!
Dec 21 - Another rest day
Went down to Miss Lucilles and did the Internet stuff, then had lunch at her Gossip Corner sandwich bar. Returned home and then I went to Bass Pro Shop, bought a air mattress in case the Warrens come to visit. On way out of Home Bass Pro Shop got onto wrong highway and was diverted across the Bay Bridge, a three mile long one. Found that interesting, but once at the far end realized that it was a toll bridge. I just followed the flow of traffic that went through a pre-pass lane where there was no place to pay. Now what?? But now I had to turn around and go back. Now I had to go through the pay booth and fess up. Well it just so happened that I had given my last $5 to Miss Lucilles to buy a couple of cinnamon buns, and only had a $1 bill in my pocket. I've always told my kids to always have some money in your jeans to pay for some unforseen item on the road, Well here I was flat broke with a cranky old toll clerk staring down at me demanding money. I handed him my Master Card, but he quickly rejected that. "Sorry, can't except that" Finally dug through my jeans and did come up with the additional $1 and half change. I explained my wrong turn and he gave me a slip to fill out with details and then to send a cheque to the Toll Board with payment. Lesson learned here: Have money in your jeans! Do not make wrong turns!! GOOD THING DENICE WAS NOT WITH ME!! Then on to Home Depot. Looked for gold wire, but found none. Bought an oak board and some clips for a new shelf in the China cabinet Then on to Wally World, and bought some RV Supplies, and some Velcro Had to get home before my curfew was up at 5:00PM. Made it with 3 minutes to spare!!
Dec 22 - Little to report for the day, but the sun is shining and it is nice and warm (+64ᵒ F ) What else do I need to say ---.
Off the Ace Hardware and bought some gold wire to hang Xmas decorations on. That’s about all.

1 comment: